DVFC is located 81-km inland from Lahad Datu
on Sabah’s east coast. The journey takes about 2 hours
and the first 15-km is along the main Lahad Datu to Tawau
Road; the remaining 66 km is on an unsealed but well-maintained
private logging road. Be warned that 70-ton logging trucks
use the road, so drive slowly and carefully.
Lahad Datu is served daily
by FAX (Fly Asian Express).
must get their entry permit from the Sales Office in Lahad
Datu. If you drive your own vehicle, you must also first
obtain a gate pass from the Lahad Datu office. The pass
must be produced at the checkpoint at km 5.5 on the Main
Line West Logging road. Follow this road to major junction
at km 56.5 where there is a signpost, left turn to the Field
Centre 10 km onwards.
Conditions Of Entry into the Conservation Area
Danum Valley Conservation
Area is a Class 1 (Protection) Forest Reserve, under the
Sabah Forestry Enactment 1968.
1. Visitors must have insurance
cover that includes emergency helicopter evacuation.
2. Visitors must report to
the Manager of the Conservation Area or his representative
upon their arrival.
3. Visitors must declare their photographic
equipment/cameras upon reporting to the Manager of the Conservation
Area or his representative.
4. Visitors must be accompanied by
one or more rangers when entering the forest, except in
designated “Self-guided Nature Trails”.
5. Hunting is prohibited anywhere
in the Conservation Areas or Yayasan Sabah Forest Management
6. Firearms are absolutely forbidden.
7. Collection of specimens is absolutely
not allowed unless with written permission.
8. There should be no slashing of
vegetation or cutting of new trails, unless with permission
from relevant officers/staff of the Conservation Area.
9. No graffiti on any surface including
but not limited to rocks, trees, signboards or any other
10. Forest fires are real danger and
campfires can be lit only under supervision of the rangers.
11. Visitors must inform the Manager
of the Conservation Area if they have any health complication
that requires special attention.
12. Styrofoam containers and canned
foods must not be brought into the Conservation Area.
13. All litter/rubbish must be brought
14. Visitors must settle all charges/payments
prior to leaving the Conservation Area.
15. Visitors who break any of the
above rules will be asked to leave the Conservation Area
Visitors' bags are subject to inspection
on departure from DVFC.