Home |

 

Location  Nature   Functions   Facilities    

Visitor Info Places of Interest   Entry Permit   Contact Us


NATURE


Research efforts in Danum have revealed a tremendous variety of plants and a full range of Sabah’s lowland fauna, including rare and endangered species as such the Sumatran rhino, banteng (tembadau), Bornean pygmy elephant, clouded leopard, orang utan and proboscis monkey. More than120 mammals including 10 species of primates, 40 species of fishes, over 300 species of birds, reptiles, amphibians and a profusion of butterflies are found here.

Bornean pygmy elephants Orang Utan Sumatran rhino


Dipterocarp trees dominate the forest around Danum Valley Field Centre with the canopy in places reaching a height of over 70 metres. 90% of the Conservation Area is classified as lowland dipterocarp forest with the remaining 10% being low canopy, sub-montane forest mainly at Mt. Danum in the heart of the Conservation Area.

Nenga Gajah Palm  Maiden Veil Fungus  Mengaris tree